Website Feedback

Financially Assisted Housing


We provide safe affordable housing in the City of Kawartha Lakes and the County of Haliburton.

Apply online for financially assisted housing

Read frequently asked questions about financially assisted housing:

Am I eligible for a financially assisted housing unit?

Applicants must be Canadian citizens OR have (or applied for) Permanent Resident Status in Canada, or be a Refugee Claimant.

At least one member of the household must be 16 years or older.

No one listed on the application can owe any other housing provider arrears of rent or damages. Satisfactory arrangements for repayment must be made prior to being placed on the waiting list.

No one listed on the application has been convicted (within the last two years) of a crime under the Criminal Code in regards to receipt of Rental Assistance.

Your Household's Income cannot be greater than the Provincial Household Income Limits.

Homeowners must agree in writing to sell their property within six months of accepting housing.

Applicants must be able to live independently or demonstrate that support services will be provided.

Do you have emergency housing?

Visit the Housing Help section of our website for information on Emergency Housing. 

How do I make changes to my application?

To make changes to your application please call 705-878-9367 or 1-844-878-9367 email Housing Help. Your application must be updated annually. To submit your update online please complete the application update form.

How long will I wait?

You can expect to wait 2-5 years before you are offered housing. During this time you will be contacted annually to update your information.

How much will I pay in rent?

The rent you pay will depend on the program type you applied for and were offered.

What is Rent-Geared-To-Income?

Rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance is reduced rent that is based on 30% of a household's gross monthly income, or if the household is receiving assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, a social assistance rent scale is applied. Additional charges may apply.

What is a housing allowance?

Rent is generally calculated one a year based on the household's gross monthly income or if the household is receiving assistance from Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program it is based on the shelter component of their assistance. The household would pay the landlord the new rent amount calculated when this allowance is calculated. The City would pay the allowance portion to the landlord. The maximum amount of the housing allowance is predetermined.

How will you contact me?

Applicants will be contacted annually by mailing address and offers of housing are made over the phone. It is your responsibility to notify us immediately if your phone number or address changes. If we are unable to contact you, your application will be cancelled.

What is special priority status?

If you or a member of your household is a victim of domestic violence you may qualify for Special Priority.  Please complete the Special Priority form in addition to our Application for Financially Assisted Housing.

Do you have units for persons with physical disabilities?

Some units are specially modified to accommodate someone with a physical disability. Please complete the Request for Modified Unit form in addition to our Application for Financially Assisted Housing.

Most apartment builds in our region are accessible and offer elevators.

What happens after I apply?

You will receive notification from Housing Help within 30 days of being added to the waiting list. When it is close to the time when you may receive an offer for housing, you will be notified by phone to provide more detailed information including financial information, proof of citizenship. At the same time, we will complete a review of your housing selections.

What size of units can I apply for?

A household is eligible to be housed in a unit of a size determined in agreement with the following principals:

  • Individuals who are spouses of each other are given one bedroom.
  • A unattached individual who is 16 years of age or over is given one bedroom.
  • Children are given separate bedrooms. However, children of the opposite sex or same sex may share a bedroom if the applicant desires.
  • Bachelor units are normally given to one individual. However, a two-person family is eligible for a bachelor unit, if the applicant requests it.
  • A single parent is eligible for a unit in which the parent would share a bedroom with a child, if the applicant requests it.

A household is eligible to be housed in a unit type determined in agreement with the following principles:

  • A housing project with a mandate of seniors will require at least one member of the household to be at least 60 years of age, except in the case of a modified unit which can be occupied by a person of any age with a physical disability and deemed eligible for the modifications of the unit.

Special requests will only be considered for medical reasons. Each special request will be carefully assessed. The household will be asked to provide documentation to substantiate the need for this special consideration by completing the Additional Bedroom Request - Medical Reasons form. The household will be notified whether or not they are approved.

What can I do if I don't agree with a decision that has been made?

A household may request a review of a decision made to the City's Review Body under one of the following areas:

  • Ineligibility for rent-geared-to-income assistance
  • The size and type of unit that a household is eligible for
  • The household's priority status on the waiting list(s)
  • Amount of rent payable by the household
  • Loss of eligibility for rent-geared-to-income assistance
  • Eligibility for special needs housing

Complete a Request for Review form for consideration.

Can I apply for market rent housing?

You can choose to apply for market rent housing by completing the market rent application.

Housing Options

View a GIS map of our housing options

Only completed applications will be placed on the Centralized Waiting List.

Personal information on your application form is collected, pursuant to the Housing Services Act, 2011, c.6 (HSA) and the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c25 (MA) and will be used to determine suitability and eligibility for housing and the appropriate rent charge.

Contact Us