Website Feedback

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between long-term care and a retirement or assisted living residence?

Long-term care

  • serves frail seniors with complex health needs who require personal support and nursing services 24 hours a day, 7 days per week
  • private and shared rooms
  • care services covered by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
  • resident/family responsible for co-payment for accommodation
  • applications facilitated through Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS)

Retirement and assisted living

  • independent or assisted lifestyle to those who want freedom from the chores of home maintenance or cooking, and the comfort of knowing that employees are available (if needed) 24/7
  • variety of suite styles and amenities including studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units
  • private pay based on market rates
  • moving arrangements made directly with the residence of your choosing, based on availability and preferences

How do I apply for long-term care?

Your local Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS) is responsible for assessing your needs and assisting with the application process. You can visit the HCCSS website.

To start the application process, contact your local Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS) and inform them of the type of accommodation you would like to apply for (basic, semi-private or private). They will send someone to help with the application process, and issue you with information on room rates and the guidelines to apply.

The HCCSS will request you select five homes, and specify three of them as priority homes. It is recommended that you tour the homes in advance before making your final decision. Applications will be sent to these homes, and they will notify you that you are on their waiting list. You will then be notified by the HCCSS when the appropriate accommodation becomes available.

How do I make a decision?

After you have been informed of an available accommodation, you will have 24 hours to make a decision to accept. If you decline, you will need to reapply for long-term care again, and be will placed back on the waiting list. This is why we recommend touring the homes first before submitting your application to HCCSS. Once you have accepted an offer for accommodation, you will be invited to move into the home within the next 24 hours.

Will I be able to bring some of my own furniture?

Yes. We encourage our residents to bring their favorite furniture, pictures, and other personal items. It's your space, and we want you to make it your own and be as comfortable as you wish.

Can I have my own television and phone in my room?

Yes. All rooms are pre-wired for both cable television and private phone lines. Residents arrange for hook-up and ongoing billing directly with our service provider.

Who provides nursing and personal care services to residents?

Experienced registered nurses, registered practical nurses and personal support workers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Can my family come for a visit?

Yes. We have larger rooms you can reserve for family reunions or parties. You can even reserve a table at mealtimes to eat with your family or visiting friends.

What is the purpose of the Residents' Council?

Victoria Manor has its own Residents' Council. This is a forum for residents to actively participate in planning and decision-making around issues that affect them. It's a great opportunity to share information with fellow residents, offer constructive feedback about the quality of our care and services, and participate in the planning of special events.

What is the purpose of the Family Council?

Victoria Manor has its own Family Council. The Family Council is a voluntary group of family and friends of the residents living at the home. It provides a strong, open line of communication between residents and the home's administration.

What is respite stay/ short stay care?

Respite care is designed to give you a short break. You may need respite care if:

  • Your caregiver is going away on vacation, needs a short break or is staying in the hospital;
  • You feel a short stay at a retirement residence or long-term care community would help you stay at home longer;
  • You expect to stay in a retirement residence or long-term care home for fewer than 60 days.

For more information about respite care, contact Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS)

What are therapy services?

On-site physiotherapy is provided on an individual basis, or in a group setting, based on an assessment of your care needs. It also includes occupational therapy and speech-language therapy, as required.

Contact Us