Website Feedback

Water, Wastewater and Sewer

Water and Wastewater public notices

Bulk Water Stations - Temporary Closures


Please be advised that the Bulk Water Dispenser at the Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant (at 97 Francis St. W), will be unavailable for use for the week of November1 to November 5 due to maintenance at the water treatment plant. Please use the dispensers in Lindsay during this time period. There is the smart card system at the Thornhill Reservoir at 1 Thornhill Road or change operated dispensers (loonies only) at both the Thornhill Reservoir and the Lindsay Water Treatment Plant (at 33 Mary St. E).


In addition, please be advised that the Thornhill Bulk Water Station in Lindsay and the Fenelon Falls Bulk Water Station (at the Water Treatment Plant), will both be closed on November 9, 2021 while our new dispensing systems are installed.


Additional information regarding this project will be provided as received. Should you have any questions please contact Rob MacPherson at or by calling (705) 324 -9411 extension 1173.


Routine Watermain Flushing in Kawartha Lakes Drinking Water Systems (DWS)


Routine watermain flushing in Lindsay (Oakwood included) and Fenelon Falls will begin Monday, September 13, 2021. CKL operators will be working day shifts 6:30am to 4:30pm until October when flushing hours will be 7:30am to 3:30pm.

Ontario Clean Water Operators will be flushing our smaller systems as per the below schedule:


Western Trent DWS - September 29

Victoria Place DWS - October 5

Canadiana Shores DWS - October 5

Omemee DWS - October 6

Birch Point DWS - October 7

Southview Estates DWS - October 13

Norland DWS - October 18 - 22

Kinmount DWS - October 18 - 22

Woodville DWS - October 18 to November 5

Manilla DWS - October 19

Sonya DWS - October 19

Janetville DWS - October 19

Pinewood DWS - October 20

Manorview DWS - October 26

Woodfield DWS - October 26

Mariposa Estates DWS - October 27

Kings Bay DWS - October 27

Pleasant Point DWS - October 28


The flushing of watermains is necessary to remove sediment that gradually deposits in the pipes. There may be brief periods of time when your water becomes cloudy or discoloured; please note that this is not harmful. Simply let your cold water tap run until the water runs clear. Please check your drinking, cooking and laundry water before using.
In addition to temporary discolouration, pressure fluctuations during the flushing process may be experienced. These fluctuations will stop once flushing is completed.

For more information, please call (705) 324 – 9411.



Routine Sanitary Sewer Flushing – Lindsay

Routine sanitary sewer flushing will be taking place in various areas of Lindsay beginning on September 20, 2021 and continuing until mid-late October 2021. Hours of work will be 7am to 5pm from Monday to Friday.

This preventative maintenance process is necessary to remove settled and accumulated material and to eliminate the potential for sanitary sewer main surcharging which can result in damage to property.

During this process, the contractor will be setting up apparatus at manholes in the roadway and releasing pressurized water through the sanitary sewer main pipe to remove any buildup. As a result, a bubbling and/or vacuum effect may be noticed in your drains and toilets. It is recommended that residents close all toilet seats and cover any floor drains. In addition, in order to prevent sewer gases from migrating into the home, it is important to refill all plumbing traps by running the water in your sinks and floor drains after the work is complete.

Should you have any questions, please call us at (705) 324-9411.


Phase One Water Restrictions – Bobcaygeon Drinking Water System
Water Conservation Measures will begin Monday August 9, 2021 until approximately November 26, 2021.

Due to an essential capital project for the internal and external coating of the Bobcaygeon water tower tank, which requires the water tower to be taken offline for the duration of the project, the municipality will be implementing Phase One Water Restrictions in accordance with By-Law 2018-039 A By-Law to Regulate Water and Wastewater Services in Kawartha Lakes. This is necessary to ensure there is adequate water supply for essential uses. Please visit our Major Projects page to read more about the project.

Residents of Bobcaygeon who are on municipal water services are asked to implement water conservation practices.

The municipality has the authority to implement water conservation measures when one or more of the following signs are observed and/or continue:

  • Well water levels are starting to drop below seasonal levels;
  • Pump running times are longer than normal;
  • Dry weather is predicted;
  • and/or water demand is higher than normal

Phase One Water Restrictions include:

  • A property with an odd-numbered municipal address shall water lawns, sports fields, grassy areas, trees, shrubs, gardens, flowers or other vegetation at that property on a day which is identified on the calendar with an odd number;
  • A property with an even-numbered municipal address shall water lawns, sports fields, grassy areas, trees, shrubs, gardens, flowers or other vegetation at that property on a day which is identified on the calendar with an even number;
  • Watering of lawns, sports fields, grassy areas, trees, shrubs, gardens, flowers or other vegetation shall only be watered between the hours of:

1.   Six o’clock (6:00 am) in the morning and nine o’clock (9:00 am) in the morning, or

2.   Seven o’clock (7:00 pm) in the evening and ten o’clock (10:00 pm) in the evening.

Please note that Phase One water restrictions are enforceable.

Phase Two Water Restrictions may be required should the above measures prove insufficient.

What residents can expect

Water quality - The water will continue to be safe to drink. If pressure fluctuations are experienced, it is possible there may be discoloured water for a period of time. Please try running the cold tap for five minutes to clear it. If discolouration persists, please report this to the municipality by calling 705-324-9411 during business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Water pressure - The water system pressure will be maintained by highlift pumps at the water treatment plant. The highlift pumps are equipped with variable frequency drives that would operate the pumps faster or slower to maintain water pressure in the distribution system. Residents may experience periods of water pressure fluctuations.

Safety maintained - The Fire department have been advised of this project. Fire response will be maintained.


Woods of Manilla Drinking Water System – Well update and water conservation measures


UPDATE: The approvals from the Ministry (Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks), for the new well have been received and the contractor is scheduled for the last week of October/first week of November to come and finalize the connection and bring the new well online.

In the meantime, we continue to haul potable water from the Lindsay drinking water system to the Manilla drinking water system to ensure that residents continue to be provided safe drinking water. Water continues to be monitored and tested as per all regulatory requirements.

While the new well undergoes testing, supply remains dependent upon hauled water so we are asking residents to continue to abide by the Phase Two Water Conservation Measures currently in place in accordance with BY-LAW 2018-039.

Phase Two Water Measures include:
•    No lawn or garden watering using sprinklers/garden hose (only manual watering is permitted for flowers, gardens, trees and shrubs);
•    No washing of motor vehicles;
•    No filling or topping up of any swimming pools, wading pools, hot tubs, garden ponds, and fountains and other outdoor water features; and
•    No use of outdoor misting systems.
Please note that Phase Two water conservation measures are enforceable.

We will continue to provide residents with updates on our website as well as on social media.

Should you have any questions, please call (705) 324 -9411.


Upgrades to the Fenelon Falls Drinking Water Treatment Process

What is the change to our drinking water system?
The City of Kawartha Lakes has upgraded the Fenelon Falls drinking water disinfection process from chlorine disinfection treatment process to a new disinfection combination of ultraviolet and chloramination. Ultraviolet – or UV for short – is a strong, chemical-free disinfection technology that uses wavelengths of UV light to kill the bacteria present in source water that is used to produce our drinking water at the treatment facility. A chloramine disinfectant will be used alongside the UV treatment to provide further disinfection throughout our water distribution system.

When and how will the new treatment process be phased into the distribution system?

The transition of disinfection methods was completed in stages. The water in the distribution system was flushed just like the semi-annual maintenance completed by staff. The change in the disinfection process began on October 19, 2020 during the annual maintenance flushing of the drinking water system and continued until October 30, 2020. 

Why the change in disinfection methods?

Although the previous treatment process at the Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant was safe and complied with regulations set out by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks,  the new conversion to UV & chloramines will be beneficial for us in many ways. Along with enabling our municipality to comply with more stringent regulatory standards, the new treatment method will reduce the amount of chlorine-related disinfection by-products – including trihalomethanes (THMs) – some of which are considered to have health effects in large quantities over a prolonged period of time. Chloramine has also proven to be more ‘stable’ than chlorine, lasting longer in the distribution system and providing continuous disinfection to protect consumers.

Will the water taste different?

It is unlikely that most consumers will notice a difference in taste.  In a report, some consumers from other utilities actually noted an improvement in taste and odour upon the switch from chlorine to chloramine. 

Are there other municipalities using chloramination?

In Canada, it is estimated that more than a hundred municipalities are using chloramination, including larger cities such as Toronto, Ottawa, and Hamilton. Locally, Bobcaygeon has been using the chloramination process since 2008.  

Is chloraminated water safe?

Yes. Current studies indicate that using or drinking water with regulated amounts of chloramine does not cause harmful health effects and provides protection against waterborne disease outbreaks. Chloraminated water is safe for people and animals to: drink, cook with, bathe in, and for all other general uses.

Are there any special precautions for specific members of the public?

As with chlorine, there are two groups of consumers who need to take special precautions with chloraminated water:
1) Dialysis patients. Chloramines are harmful when they go directly into the bloodstream. They must be removed from the water used in dialysis treatments, and;
2) Fish/amphibian owners. Chloramines can damage fish gill tissue and enter the red blood cells causing a sudden and severe blood disorder. They must be removed from the water prior to any contact with fish.

How will chloramine affect household plumbing, pipes, and water heaters?

After the conversion, rubber parts on some household plumbing and water heaters may degrade faster than previously experienced. When replacing rubber plumbing parts, ask for chloramine-resistant parts, which are readily available. Plumbing and hardware supply stores and plumbers will be able to provide further information.

For more information on UV disinfection, please visit:

For more information on chloramination, please visit:


For health related information please contact:
Health Canada at 613-957-2991 or
the local Health Unit (HKPR) at 866-888-4577.

Please Check our Public Notices page for more up-to-date notices about water and wastewater services. 

Protect the Tap

Our municipal drinking water is already safe and reliable. It goes through a rigorous treatment process with numerous measures in place to ensure its safety. But what about the water that comes into the treatment plant? This “source” of municipal water needs to be protected as well. That’s what the Source Water Protection Program is all about. It’s about safeguarding the water that comes into those treatment plants. That’s the water we get from underground supplies called aquifers, and surface water in lakes and rivers.

For more information, please visit Kawartha Conservation.

Did you know?

- Due to the numerous construction projects currently underway, residents may be noticing some effects on their drinking water. You may notice some of the following:

  • Brown water - brown water occurs when the watermains (pipes) distributing drinking water are flushed to remove sediment. Brown water can also occur when nearby construction work vibrates the pipes and dislodges buildup within the pipe. If you experience brown water please run your cold water tap for five to ten minutes to clear the water. If after running your water the discolouration remains, please call us and let us know.
  • Low pressure - low pressure can also be the result of watermain flushing. When large amounts of water is used to pressure clean the pipes, it can result in temporary loss of pressure. Once flushing is over, pressure will return to normal. (Tip: Clogged filters on water softeners will also affect water pressure. Try bypassing the softener to see if pressure stabilizes and if so, replace your filters.)
  • A bubbling or vacuum effect in drains and toilets - this occurs during sanitary sewer flushing. Closing the lid on your toilet helps keep water from spilling over. In addition, it is important to refill all plumbing traps by running the water in your sinks and floor drains after the work is complete. Internal plumbing consists of "P" traps which hold a volume of water that prevent sewer gases from migrating into a home; it is important to replace the water after flushing to ensure this migration of gases does not occur.


Please visit this section regularly to receive up to date information from your Water and Wastewater Division. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF)

We would like to recognize and thank the Federal Government and the Ontario Provincial Government for their contributions through the CWWF program that has made the following projects possible:

1. Elgin Street Water & Sanitary Main Replacement – Phase 2

2. Lindsay Water Treatment Plant Filter Media Replacement

3. Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant Clearwell Modification Study

Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant Clearwell Modification Study



Update: New Law will Protect Consumers at Home

As per a news release from the Ontario Government, effective March 1, 2018 "Ontario will ban unsolicited, door-to-door sales of certain household appliances to better protect consumers from aggressive and misleading contracting at home." This means that businesses will only be able to enter private residences if the consumer has contacted the company and invited them. "Contracts that are in violation of the new rules relating to door-to-door contract solicitation will be considered void, consumers will be able to keep the goods and services with no obligations."

Amongst other services (air conditioning, air cleaning, duct cleaning, furnace maintenance etc.), the new rules will apply to anyone attempting to sell water filters, heaters, purifiers, softeners, treatment devices or any combination of these products.

Businesses now must keep a record of how contact with the consumer was made and all contracts signed in the home will have a ten-day "cooling off" period, allowing the buyer to cancel the contract "for any reason without penalty."

For more information on this law, please visit the Ontario News website.   

Please remember that City employees carry identification and do not approach residents to sell any type of equipment. Should you be approached by any salespeople claiming to be with the City, do not allow them access to your home. The drinking water in the City of Kawartha Lakes is safe to drink; no additional equipment is required. Should you be approached by salespeople discrediting the quality of your drinking water and attempting to sell you unnecessary equipment of any kind, please call the City and report the incident.


 Reports (both current and for previous years') are available free of charge upon request. 

Wastewater Reports

Accessible formats and full appendices for these reports are available upon request. Please contact should you require an alternative version. 

City and resident responsibilities

Property line diagram

You are responsible for everything inside the property line. 

Home and business owners are responsible for preventative maintenance of fire hydrants located on private property. This includes:residence. The City is responsible for service outside the property line of your residence.

  • removing snow around the fire hydrant
  • flushing to remove debris
  • fire flow testing to make sure there is enough pressure
  • dip testing to make sure hydrants are not plugged

The City is responsible for preventative maintenance on fire hydrants located on City owned property.


Do not flush campaign - when in doubt, throw it out

While it might seem harmless to flush a piece of dental floss or paper towel down the toilet, the truth is that many household items (including those advertised as flushable), can damage not only your plumbing which can lead to sewer backups but also the sewer system, the wastewater treatment facility and the environment. Millions of dollars are spent unnecessarily each year on maintenance, repair and clean up costs. If we all followed some simple rules, we could reduce not only the financial impact, but the environmental impact as well.

Here is a list of things to throw OUT, not IN.

  • Paper towel
  • Facial tissues
  • Wipes (yes, even flushable ones)
  • Tampons
  • Cotton swabs

These items are among the most common offenders. First, because many people don’t know that they shouldn’t be flushed. But when we stop to think about it, these items are especially harmful. Why? Because they are all made to absorb water. Once thrown into the toilet, what do they do? EXPAND. Items that expand when exposed to water are not good for your pipes or the sewer system.

 “Flushable” wipes should not be flushed. Despite manufacturer's advertising, these wipes do not break down. They are made to be strong and to not dissolve when used to clean up messes. As a result, they break apart very slowly and easily clog pipes and filters at the wastewater plant. The first ever test of single-use wipes against rigorous criteria for flush-ability produced failing grades for all 101 products. Results showed that not one single wipe was able to fall apart or disperse safety through the sewer system test. (Water Canada, May/June 2019 issue.)

 Plastic/Vinyl Materials:

  • Condoms
  • Dental Floss
  • Contact lenses

Due to the plastic/vinyl materials in these products, they don’t break down. Contact lenses leave behind tiny pieces of plastic that make their way through the pipes and the wastewater plant, ultimately finding their way back into source water. Condoms fill with air and gas and float in water making them difficult to catch and remove. These products are just some of the items leading to the growing problem of microplastic pollution which is poisoning our rivers, lakes, streams and oceans.

Dental floss can twist up inside your pipes causing blockages. It turns into a net of sorts, catching and holding other debris and clogging up pipes and wastewater treatment equipment – dental floss can even wrap around parts of your septic system and burn out the motors on expensive plant equipment.


Miscellaneous Items:


  • Medications – Yes, these break down eventually, but trace chemicals are left behind and ultimately end up in our drinking water. Fish, animals and people can all get sick from these traces of medications. The safer, more responsible option is to return any unfinished medication to your doctor or take them to the nearest pharmacy for proper disposal.
  • Kitty litter – This material (again meant to absorb liquid), will NOT dissolve in water and can create clogs, again EVEN IF it’s labelled flushable. Just think about what it’s made to do – then consider how wise it is to flush it down the toilet.
  • Cigarette butts – Toxic chemicals tossed into the sewer system aren’t good for the environment and can make their way back into source water. Not to mention what a huge waste of water it is to flush them when they can easily and safely be thrown out.
  • Hair – Like dental floss, hair (from your brush or after shaving), gets caught on basically everything – plus, it floats. Not to mention that it’s super strong and never dissolves in water no matter how long it’s in there. It can easily cause clogs in your pipes and wrap around equipment at the wastewater plant causing significant damage.
  • Fats/Oils/Cooking Grease – Most of us know that we shouldn’t put cooking grease down the drain, yet some of us still put it down the toilet. Fat, oil and cooking grease cool and harden when they cool. Over time the grease will build up and can block the entire pipe – both in your private plumbing and in the City’s. (These can be found in meat drippings like bacon as well as in butter, shortening, salad dressing, gravy, dairy products etc.)
  • Chemicals – Most household cleaners have harmful chemicals in them that shouldn’t be flushed into the sewer system. Consider cleaning your toilet with vinegar instead.
  • Household Hazardous Waste – Hopefully we all know that putting paints or pesticides into the toilet is a definite no but just in case – don’t do it.

Household plumbing, distribution pipes and wastewater plants are not equipped to handle anything except for human waste, wastewater and toilet paper. Anything else should be put in the trash.

So remember, when in doubt – throw it out.

Picture of Items that Shuldn't Be Flushed

Properly discharging pool and hot tub water

Discharge of water from swimming pools and hot tubs contains chloride, bromine, salts, copper-based algaecides and other chemicals harmful to fish and other aquatic organisms that live in our creeks, rivers and lakes. Emptying chlorinated pools directly into storm sewers means water goes untreated, into the nearest waterway which can kill fish and damage the environment; proper discharge is important.


Chlorinated Water:

1. Do not add chemicals to your pool or hot tub two weeks before discharging

2. Running the pump will assist in the dissipation of the chlorine. Sunlight also helps.

3. Reduce chlorine levels to 0.5 mg/L before discharging water. If you don't have an accurate measuring tool, wait until the water becomes murky as this is an indication that the chlorine levels have reduced.

4. Discharge/release pool water onto your own property at a slow, controlled rate to allow absorption into the ground. This will eliminate potential damage on your property and neighbouring properties. Remember to consider any slopes/directional landscape so that water does not run in an unwanted direction, and avoid discharging on a rainy day as storm sewers systems can become overwhelmed.

5. Report any spill of chlorinated pool and hot tub water to the provincial and municipal authorities if you see it flow into a stream, river, lake or storm sewer system.


Salt Water:

Any time water enters the city's storm sewers it needs to be free of chemicals, including salt.

1. If you can, discharge saltwater pools and hot tubs to the sanitary sewer (via washer, sink or bathtub) to ensure the water is treated before being released or if that is not an option;

2. Have salt water hauled by a MECP (Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks) approved licensed hauler. There are many haulers available in the City of Kawartha Lakes.

All off-property impacts are the responsibility of the swimming pool or hot tub owner.


Hydrants and Watermain flushing

Watermain Flushing - The City flushes watermains to improve water quality. Flushing removes sediment that can build up in water distribution pipes. The City flushes municipal watermains twice per year, usually in the spring and fall. When a watermain is being flushed on your street you may notice:

  • water going into street catch basins and then being released into the storm sewer system, chlorine is removed from the water before it is released into the storm sewer system.
  • slightly lower water pressure than normal
  • discoloured water

Your water will remain safe to drink during flushing. The City recommends that you wait to use your taps, washing machine and dishwasher until flushing is finished. If you use water during flushing unwanted sediment could be drawn into your household waterlines, filters and tanks.

Flushing notices are posted in our Water and Wastewater Public Notices section below as well as in the public notices section of the City website.

Hydrants - Did you know that not all hydrants are installed for the purpose of fire fighting? Many exist solely for watermain flushing and preventative maintenance of the water system. The only areas in the City of Kawartha Lakes with fire rated hydrants are: Lindsay, Bobcaygeon and Fenelon Falls.

Hydrants that are not fire rated have caps that are painted black. Residents with non-fire rated hydrants should ensure that this information is relayed to their insurance company; missing or inaccurate information may result in claims being denied.

For residents living in areas that are not fire rated, it might be reassuring to know that every fire station in the City of Kawartha Lakes has Superior Tanker Shuttle Certification. Water Tank Shuttle Certification is a process that provides the assurance that adequate water can be brought to a fire incident from an alternate water supply other than a fire hydrant on a Municipal Water System. City of Kawartha Lakes Fire fighters train regularly so that each station will meet the requirements for re-certification every five years.

Residents who live within eight kilometres of a fire station with Superior Tanker Shuttle Service and businesses located within five kilometres, may be eligible for an insurance discount. (Please contact your insurance company for details.)


Visit our Fire Services section of the website for a list of Fire Stations located within the municipality. 

Sanitary sewer flushing

Sanitary sewer flushing is preventative maintenance that removes settled and accumulated material. It prevents overloading the sewer and property damage.

You may notice a bubbling or vacuum effect in your drains and toilets during sewer flushing. Keep all toilet seats closed and cover floor drains until flushing is done. After flushing is complete you should run water into your sinks and floor drains for a few minutes.

In addition, in order to prevent sewer gasses (resulting in odours) from migrating into the home, it is important to refill all plumbing traps by running the water in your sinks and floor drains after the work is complete.

Flushing schedules are posted in our Water and Wastewater Public notices section below as well as on the Public Notices section of our website, social media and in the local newspaper.

Bulk Water


Bulk Water Stations - Temporary Closures while new systems are installed


Please be advised that the Thornhill Bulk Water Station in Lindsay and the Fenelon Falls Bulk Water Station (at the Water Treatment Plant), will both be closed on November 9, 2021 while our new dispensing systems are installed.

Additional information regarding this project will be provided as received. Should you have any questions please contact Rob MacPherson at or by calling (705) 324 -9411 extension 1173.


*** Please note that beginning Monday June 14, 2021 the following procedure for filling/getting bulk water cards resumes.

Staff will now be  completing bulk water card reload/transactions onsite at the Lindsay Service Centre (180 Kent St.) between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Appointments are no longer required. 

Cards can also be filled at the Fenelon Falls Library (19 Market St.) Monday to Saturday 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.

Transactions will no longer be occurring at the Public Works Building (322 Kent St. W, Lindsay)

The City has five Bulk Water Stations that are used to supply large volumes of water.

Before you can access a Bulk Water Station you must read, complete and sign a Bulk Water User Agreement and get a key from the Lindsay Municipal Service Centre and/or Fenelon falls Public Library. If you do not comply with the Bulk Water User Agreement your water station use privileges will be revoked. Bulk Water cards for the SmartVend systems in Lindsay and in Fenelon Falls can be received and loaded from the Lindsay Municipal Service Centre and the Fenelon Falls Public Library.


Approved water haulers may qualify to use the Smart Vend System. The Smart Vend System allows you to use a pre-loaded chip card to dispense water at the current user rate.


Thornhill Road at the Thornhill Reservoir

The Thornhill Reservoir has two separate dispensing systems: One Smart Vend card system for large volume users such as water haulers and one coin operated system for smaller volume users.

You will need to bring your own hose and a 3 inch female coupling to connect to the dispenser using the Smart Vend System. To access this machine, users must also have a Smart Vend card and an ABUS silver key to unlock the padlock on the Smart Vend enclosure box. (Which you will receive when you are approved.)

You will need to bring your own hose to connect the dispenser to the container you are filling and a 2-inch female coupling for the coin operated machine. This machine only takes 1$ coins (loonies). You will also need a key which you will be given when your Agreement is approved.

33 Mary Street East at the Lindsay Water Treatment Plant

You will need to bring your own hose to connect the dispenser to the container you are filling and a 2-inch female coupling.

There is no Smart Vend System at this location. This machine only takes 1$ coins (loonies).

Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant

This is a Smart Vend machine. You will need to bring your own hose and a 2-inch female coupling to connect the dispenser using the Smart Vend System.

There is not a Coin Operated System at this location. You will need a Smart Vend card and a key (which you will be given when you hand in your Agreement Form.)

Fenelon Falls Fire Station - John St.

This is a Coin Operated Machine. You will need $0.25 coins ONLY to use the Coin Operated System at this location. This is a public bulk water station and you do not require a key to use it. No hoses can be connected at this location.

There is no Smart Vend System at this location.

3474 Monck Road, Norland

This is a Coin Operated Machine. You will need $0.25 coins to use the Coin Operated System at this location. This is a public bulk water station and you do not require a key to use it. No hoses can be connected at this location.

There is no Smart Vend System at this location.

Source Water

The City has a Source Water Protection Program in place to keep our water clean and safe.

The City and Source Water Protection Agencies have identified Source Protection areas that are vulnerable areas of source water in and around drinking water systems that need protection. These areas are called the Well Head Protection Areas (WHPA) and Intake Protection Zones (IPZ).

If you live within a Source Protection area there may be an impact to your property. Permits and planning help protect you and your investment from hazards like flooding, unstable soils and steep slopes while contributing to a healthy, sustainable environment in Kawartha Lakes.

If you live near a lake, watercourse or wetland you need to contact the Kawartha Conservation Planning and Regulations department to find out if you need a permit to:

  • build a structure or building
  • alter an existing structure or building
  • add any soil, sand or gravel to your property
  • excavate or grade any soil, sand or gravel on your property
  • change a watercourse
  • improve or alter your shoreline
  • work in or near a wetland

You can reach the Risk Management Official at (705) 328 -2271.

The Kawartha Conservation website also contains information such as: flood forecasting, watershed monitoring, low water response program as well as lake and environmental management plans.

You can find City Source Protection Plans on the Trent Conservation Authority website, South Georgian Bay Lake Simcoe website and the Ontario Government website. These websites also offer information on flood protection, watershed management, risk management and conservation lands as well as interactive maps and additional contact information.

New transport pathways in Intake Protection Zones or Wellhead Protection Areas are prohibited as part of By-Law 2016-237 Prohibit Establishment of Transport Pathways that Increase Vulnerability of Drinking Water.

Drinking Water – Surface and Groundwater Sources


Source Water FAQ

1. Where does my drinking water come from?

Drinking water is supplied by either surface water sources (lakes and rivers), or groundwater sources (wells/aquifers.)

There are twenty-one drinking water systems in Kawartha Lakes. Six of these systems are supplied by surface water.

•    Bobcaygeon DWS – Big Bob Channel
•    Fenelon Falls DWS – Cameron Lake
•    Kinmount DWS – Burnt River
•    Lindsay DWS – Scugog River
•    Norland – Gull River
•    Southview Estates – Sturgeon Lake

The remaining fifteen drinking water systems are supplied by groundwater.
•    Birch Point DWS            
•    Canadiana Shores DWS
•    Janetville DWS
•    King’s Bay DWS
•    Manorview DWS
•    Mariposa Estates DWS
•    Omemee DWS
•    Pinewood DWS
•    Pleasant Point DWS
•    Sonya DWS
•    Victoria Place DWS
•    Western Trent Palmina DWS
•    Woodfield DWS
•    Woods of Manilla DWS
•    Woodville DWS

2.    What is the difference between surface water and groundwater? Is one better than the other?

Surface water can be more difficult to treat because it is exposed to the elements and is home to animals, fish and plants. Groundwater is pumped from aquifers located deep within the earth and is not exposed to the same influences as surface water. However, the treatment system for both sources is thorough and strictly regulated; all water is safe to drink once it leaves the treatment facility.

Groundwater systems are usually smaller than surface water systems and are more susceptible to drought, which can cause supply issues. Overuse can also affect the ability of these smaller systems to meet demand. Residents, visitors and businesses obtaining their water from groundwater sources need to be conservative with water use, especially during dry, hot summer weather when water usage increases dramatically. Activities such as watering lawns, washing cars, filling pools etc., use a great deal of water and it is important to remain conscientious of your water use to ensure that there is enough water available for everyday essential uses.

3.    How can I help conserve water?

•    Reduce non-essential use of water such as washing the car and watering the lawn and/or water during cool parts of the day
•    Turn off water when you’re not using it
•    Reduce water during essential use (i.e. turn off the water while brushing your teeth and shaving)
•    Check your toilet / faucet / pipes for leaks
•    Don’t use the toilet as a wastebasket or ashtray
•    Take shorter showers
•    Install water-saving shower heads or flow restrictors
•    Put out rain barrels to catch water to use for gardening or watering
•    Use your dishwasher for full loads only
•    Use a broom to clean walkways/driveway instead of the hose
•    Use hauled water to fill your pool

4.    You mentioned that the water is treated. What happens to the water once it is taken from the water source?

Water is pumped from the source into the treatment facility where it is treated and disinfected. Depending on the water source and its specific requirements, treatment includes processes such as filtration, coagulation, flocculation, pH correction, settling and disinfection. Once it has been monitored and tested and determined to be safe to drink, the water is pumped into the distribution system (the network of piping used to carry water), and delivered to homes and businesses. We are fortunate to live where clean, safe drinking water comes directly from our taps.

5.    How do I know my water is safe to drink?

Drinking water in Ontario is highly regulated. The Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks ensures that each step of the process – from source to tap – is governed by strict legislation to ensure that the drinking water supplied is clean and potable. We have regular inspections and water is continuously tested and monitored. Our operators are highly trained and licensed, and all compliance measures are met and exceeded to ensure that Kawartha Lakes drinking water is safe to drink.


Holding Tank Registration

Holding Tank registration is only required for out of municipality properties bringing septage to the Lindsay Septage Disposal Station. You can find Holding Tank Registration Form here or at any Municipal Service Centre. Your form will be processed by the City and you will get confirmation and your septage generator number by mail. Your septage number is used by the City for administrative purposes and is not associated with the Health Unit. All sewage haulers that deposit waste at City facilities are registered and you will need to give the sewage hauler your septage number.

If you replace or change the size of your holding tank you must complete a Holding Tank Registration Update Form. There is no cost to update your holding tank information.

If you sell your home your septage generator number is transferable to the new home owner at no cost. The new owner will need to fill out a Holding Tank Registration Update Form, please give them your septage number.

Frozen Services

Colder weather can have an adverse effect on your water pipes. It is important that home owners do all they can to try and protect their pipes from freezing. During particularly cold weather (especially when low temperatures are prolonged), please consider running your tap - just the width of a pencil is enough - to keep water flowing and the risk of freezing pipes to a minimum. Please note that unless your property has a history of annual frozen services, it may not be necessary to run your water - home owner discretion is required. We invite you to see the below for more tips.

The City wishes to remind residents that there will be no bill adjustments for any addition consumption due to running water to prevent freezing.


The City has a voluntary Freeze Prevention Program to help you keep your water lines and water meters from freezing. Frozen services can cause service interruptions and damage infrastructure. The program encourages you to:

  • Make sure that your plumbing and drains will allow water to run continuously without supervision;
  • Begin running your water when advised by the city to prevent your pipes from freezing - PLEASE NOTE: the weather is now turning colder. Please pay attention to the temperature and when it drops, consider running your water (the stream should be approximately 6 mm wide or the width of a straw, as per the information below - enough to ensure water continues flowing through your pipes) until the temperature rises. Please note that the City will not be responsible for any for any costs related to the additional water consumption.
  • Notify the city as soon as possible when you notice an interruption in water supply.

In extremely cold weather the City recommends that you:

  • Keep kitchen, laundry and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around water pipes and water meters;
  • Make sure all chemicals and cleaners are kept safely out of the reach of children and pets;
  • Keep a minimum household temperature of 13 degrees Celsius;
  • Make sure outside taps are drained and turned off;
  • Use foam pipe insulation to wrap pipes located near exterior walls, in crawl spaces or in attics;
  • Seal air leaks in your home and garage and keep your garage door closed;
  • If you are going away shut off the valve in your basement, drain all water lines by opening taps and have someone check your home regularly;
  • If you are having problems with frozen pipes you can speak with a plumber to about lowering your water service to a depth of at least 2 m and making sure waterlines on exterior walls are insulated.

If you are advised to run your taps a steady stream of water 6 mm wide or approximately the width of a straw should be run constantly until the extreme temperatures rise.

If you open the tap closest to where the waterline enters your house and you notice there is little to no water flow it is possible that your line could be frozen. Please call a licensed plumber right away. If your waterline has frozen:

     CALL US FIRST - we have important information that can save you time and money.

  • Call a licensed plumber as soon as possible. Please note that plumbers MUST call the City prior to the commencement of any work on City-owned services. If the plumber does not call the City, the City will not pay for any work that needs to be completed even if it is determined that the frozen service is located on the City side. This is because only City-approved plumbers can work on City-owned infrastructure. In addition, plumbers working on City-owned infrastructure must use our approved method of thawing frozen lines which is steam.
  • If the service is frozen outside of your property line on city property, the city will be notified and is responsible for thawing the line;
  • If the portion of the service line that is frozen is on your property (between your home and the property line) you are responsible for hiring a plumber and covering the cost;
  • If you have taken all reasonable steps and the line on your property can not be thawed the city may connect a temporary service line to supply your residence with water;
  • The city will bill the homeowner supplying the water and the owner receiving the water as part of the temporary service based on their previous year's bill for the same time period.

Private Wells

The City does not maintain private wells. You are responsible for all maintenance, repairs and water quality testing on any private well that you own.

If you would like to decommission a private well you must speak with the Building and Property division by calling 705-324-9411 extension 1288.

Ontario Water Wastewater Agency Response Network

The City is a member of the Ontario Water Wastewater Agency Response Network. The network is made up of Ontario municipalities that have agreed to voluntarily help each other respond to and recover from emergencies. This membership increases the level of safety and security for Kawartha Lakes residents.

 Water System Cross Connection Control Program

Water System Cross Connection Control Program

The City of Kawartha Lakes Water System Cross-Connection Control Program, included as part of By-law 2018-039, has been developed to protect the City’s drinking water supply from sources of contamination. This program involves identifying cross-connections located on industrial, commercial and institutional properties (ICI) connected to the City of Kawartha Lakes water distribution system and ensuring that they have adequate premise isolating measures (backflow prevention devices) in place.

A cross-connection is defined as any actual or potential connection between the water distribution system and any source of pollution, contamination or other substance that could change the quality of the potable water supply.

Backflow is defined as the undesirable reversal of flow from non potable (untreated) water or other substances from any domestic or industrial unprotected piping system into the municipal water distribution system.

The easiest way to protect the water distribution system is to eliminate all potential cross-connections. Where this is not possible, a mechanical backflow prevention device must be installed to prevent backflow from occurring.

Diagram showing the steps involved in the program. For more information, please contact


Program Requirements/Process:                                                                           

  • Identification of ICI properties with cross-connections and supplying these properties notice of the need to comply, or maintain compliance, with the Water System Cross-Connection Control Program and By-law 2018-039.

Note: Residential premises are not currently required to install BPDs, however residential premises with a) more than four units, and b) premises that are connected to an auxiliary water supply, such as an irrigation system, will require premise isolating BPD’s.

  • Once notified, affected property owners will – at their own expense - obtain a Qualified Person from the Qualified Persons Registry to conduct a cross-connection survey of the property in question. The survey report is due two months after receiving the notification letter sent to the owner by the City. Please email completed surveys to

Note: Qualified Persons are individuals who meet the following requirements:

-  The person is registered with the City’s Water System Cross-Connection Control Program

-  The person holds a valid a current Certificate of Achievement in Cross Connection Control Endorsed by the Ontario Water Works Association (OWWA), or equivalent

-  The person is in possession of a current calibration certificate as required for the testing equipment to be employed

-  The person maintains commercial general liability insurance and;

-  The person is authorized to perform the specified tasks as indicated in the Authorized Functions List 

The City of Kawartha Lakes has developed a “Qualified Persons Registry List” for resident use. The City strongly recommends that property owners obtain several quotes before selecting a qualified person. The City of Kawartha Lakes does not endorse or provide warranty of services or prices; all “Qualified Persons” operate independently from the City. Please check all references, insurance, costs and please obtain a WSIB clearance certificate prior to the commencement of any work.

  • The City will reply outlining the action (if any) the property owner must take. If the property is determined to be a moderate to high risk for cross-connection (in accordance with CSA standards B64.10-07/B64/10.1-07), the property owner will be required (at their own expense) to hire a licensed plumber from the Qualified Persons Registry to have the recommended backflow device(s) installed. (Please note that a plumbing permit is required prior to the installation of new devices. Please contact the Building Division at 705 324-9411 ext. 1288)

Note: Identified properties must complete and submit to the City, a Cross Connection Survey: once every five years; when there is a change to the internal plumbing system or premise use; or as required by the City.

  • The BPDs are required to be tested upon installation and yearly thereafter by a Qualified Person. Once a test has been performed, a test tag must be affixed to each device and the report forwarded to the City. The City will maintain a listing of where BPDs have been installed, however it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure device test reports are provided to the City in a timely fashion.

It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that only Qualified Persons listed by the City of Kawartha Lakes conduct backflow prevention work on their property. The City may immediately terminate water service, require disconnection of a cross-connection and/or impose fines if the City determines that a health hazard, or potential health hazard, exists.

The owner is also responsible for ensuring that the information provided to the City remains current.

The following is a list of certified Backflow Prevention Device Testers who have registered with the City of Kawartha Lakes (CKL). Please contact these Registered Testers directly as they are not employed by the City.

Certified backflow prevention device testers

Company Name

Phone number


Approved Function(s)

Adamson and Dobbin Ltd


407 Pido Road

PO Box 352

Peterborough, ON

K9J 6Z3

All functions

Ainsworth Inc.


131 Bermondsey Rd.

North York, ON

M4A 1X4

 All functions

Bruce Maly Plumbing and Drain Services Inc.


840 Aylmer St. N

Peterborough, ON

K9H 3Y8

All functions

Caledon Creek Mechanical Limited


18023 Horseshoe Hill Road

Caledon, ON

L7K 2B8

All functions

Carmichael Engineering


2015 Fisher Dr

Peterborough, ON

K9J 6X6

All functions

Doyle Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling



1316 County Rd 28

Fraserville, ON

K0L 1V0

All functions

Eastman Plumbing


416 Highway 36

Lindsay, ON

K9V 4R1

All functions

G.O Tap Plus


335 Watline Ave.

Mississauga, ON

L4Z 1P3

All functions

Jackson Water Conditioning Ltd


554 Woodville Rd

Woodville, ON

K0M 2T0

All functions

Kavanagh Plumbing


127 County Road 46

Oakwood, ON

K0M 2M0

All functions

Liquid Logics


62 Log House Rd

Dunsford, ON

K0M 1L0

All functions

Mark Edwards Plumbing Ltd.


255 Cedar Bank Rd.

Peterborough, ON

K9J 6Y3

All functions

North-Shore Plumbing and Heating


462 Hickory Beach Rd.

Fenelon Falls, ON

K0M 1N0

All functions

Peterborough Backflow Testing and Repair


1158 Tara Road

Ennismore, ON

K0L 1T0

All functions

Proactive Water Solutions


12-242 Applewood Crescent

Vaughn, ON

L4K 4E5

All functions

Summit Mechanical


749 The Kingsway

Peterborough, ON

K9J 6W7

All functions

Tec Mechanical Inc.


3-3221 Derry Road W

Mississauga, ON

L5N 7L0

All functions

The Plumbers Edge Inc. 905-259-5988

1000 Simcoe St. N

Oshawa, ON

L1G 8E6

All functions
Tom Lucas Plumbing Ltd. 705-879-8261

1150 Pigeon Lake Rd

Lindsay, ON

K9V 4R5

All functions
Vandermeulen Plumbing Ltd. 705-742-3433

505 Parkhill Road West

Peterborough, ON

K9H 3J4

All functions


Disclaimer: CKL makes no representation regarding the abilities, performance or quality of the service provided by the Registered Testers above. CKL does not accept or assume any responsibilities for the performance or actions of these Testers. These service providers are required to submit proof of their certification as a tester of backflow devices issued by the OWWA/AWWA, ASSE or approved equivalent and a valid Certificate of Calibration of their test equipment on an annual basis. Only companies listed above are permitted to carry out functions required by the Cross Connection Control Program. Please use your own judgment and discretion with respect to contracting with these Testers.

Note: Qualified Testers should contact Rob MacPherson (see below) for information on how to become registered.


Contact changes (in addition to any concerns or questions related to the Water Systems Cross Connection Control program) can be emailed to or mailed directly to:

Public Works – Water and Wastewater Division

Attn: Rob MacPherson

12 Peel St.

PO Box 9000

Lindsay, ON

K9V 5R8


Please click on the following links to print a required document.

Authorized Functions List  

Backflow Device Test Form

Cross Connection Survey Form

Qualified Persons Application Form

Alternate formats are available upon request by contacting Rob MacPherson at

 Sanitary Sewer Backups 

NOTE: Please CALL US FIRST. Staff need to determine if the backup is associated with a City main prior to the commencement of any work.

  • If it is determined that the the main is fine and that the backup is due to a blockage, the owner/occupant will need to call a plumber to determine if the blockage is located on the City side (from the property line to the street/road), or on the owner's side (inside the property line.)
  • The plumber then MUST call the City prior to commencing any work. This is very important: if the plumber does not call the City first, the City shall not be responsible to pay for any work related to the sewer backup even if it is determine that the cause of the blockage is location on City owned property. Only City-approved plumbers may work onCity-owned systems/infrastructure. Please see link below for plumbers who are City-approved.
  • NOTE: The plumber hired to determine where the blockage is located MUST provide video documentation to prove the location of the cause of the sewer backup. Therefore, any plumber hired by the owner to determine the location of the blockage must have the capability/equipment to provide this. Without this proof, the City shall not be responsible to pay for any work associated with the sewer backup regardless of the location/responsibility. When the plumber calls the City, he/she will be advised of this and will speak to the Supervisor/ORO of Distribution and Collection for further instruction (i.e. City-approved methods of thawing, time limits, temporary water hookups etc.)
  • If it is determined that the blockage is located on the owner's side (inside the property line), the property owner shall be responsible for all costs associated with the sewer backup. If the blockage is on the owner's side, the owner may hire any plumber he/she wishes.
  • Responses to vulnerable customers are accelerated when possible
  • Please click for listing of City-approved plumbers. If you are a plumber and would like to be added to the City's listing of approved vendors, please contact 


Septage Disposal / Information for Septage Haulers


Procedure for New Septage Haulers


New septage haulers need to contact the Finance Department (705 324 9411 ext. 1222) to obtain and fill out a credit application for account set up. Once the hauler is approved by finance (and given directions to the Landfill), they are to call the Waste Management Supervisor (705 324 9411 ext. 1133) to meet at the Landfill and obtain a manifest package. This package includes a summary of steps for registration as a hauler, septage manifest and a copy of Bylaw 2016-219 A Bylaw to Govern Septage Disposal at the City of Kawartha Lakes Sewage Works.

The bylaw will include the rates for haulers within the City of Kawartha Lakes and outside of City boundaries, however haulers hauling from outside the City of Kawartha Lakes will be charged an additional administration fee on weight of septage. (See rates below.)

At the Landfill the hauler will provide confirmation of account setup, MECP (Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks) and Truck Licence number. As per bylaw 2016-219, a waste hauler shall provide all required information about the contents of their load, the origin of their load or any other information about the contents of the load or any other information required to be supplied by the City. New haulers must be aware that hauled septage waste that is deposited at the Sewage Works shall be in compliance with the Sewage Works current Environmental Compliance Approval and only if the hauled septage waste meets the conditions set out in O. Reg. 347, R.R.0 1990 as amended. Under bylaw 2016-219, Section 4.00 item 4.02, the hauler shall not deposit any hauled waste that contains any prohibited material or substance. The hauler will be told that upon request. a waste hauler shall provide a representative sample of the septage waste to be discharged and that at any time, the City of Kawartha Lakes may refuse to accept any hauled septage waste if the sewage works does not at that time have the capacity to treat that sewage or if any requirements are not met. Any waste hauler who provides false information shall be guilty of an offense and shall be permanently banned from disposing septage waste at the Sewage Works.

The waste hauler shall, at all times, have and maintain all necessary approvals, permits, and/or certificates required under Ontario legislation and regulation.

The Waste Management Operations Supervisor will provide orientation for the new hauler at the Lindsay Ops Landfill site. The Supervisor and/or designated landfill staff will tare the vehicle at the scale and have the hauler sign in and complete the Septage Manifest form. The Waste Manifest form for leachate must be supplied by the hauler and approved by the province.

New haulers will be instructed on the use of the scales at the City of Kawartha Lakes Landfill and advised that City staff shall issue weigh tickets to waste haulers and complete the appropriate section of the Septage Manifest.

The Revenue and Taxation Department shall invoice the waste hauler on a monthly basis based on weight ticket and Septage Manifest information. (Please see rates below.) The Revenue and Taxation Department will add one percent of the overdue amount as a late payment charge.


Price Increase -  Septage Disposal Rates/Fees


Please be advised that effective October 1, 2020, there will be a price increase to the rates/fees for Septage Disposal.


A review of current fees for this service was undertaken and new rates were adopted by Council on March 19, 2020. As per Council resolution, amendments to Schedule B of By-Law 2018-039 “A By-law to Regulate Water and Wastewater Services in Kawartha Lakes”, pass on September 15, 2020. A copy of amended Schedule B is included below.


Standard Septage/Holding Tank/Abattoir Waste








Rate per 1000 gal






Rate per m³







  • Registration Fee of $50.00 for all owners/haulers
  • Administration Fee for Septage Hauled from Outside Municipal Boundaries – Flat rate of $7.00 per tonne
  • Environmental Compliance Charge – Flat rate of $100 per load for Abattoir Waste



Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our office

 Backwater Valve Program


General Description of Program

With increasingly frequent and severe wet weather events related to climate change, the possibility for sanitary sewers to reach capacity and surcharge or back-up into residential homes is increasing. As a proactive measure, the City is offering residential property owners a financial subsidy to install a backwater valve (BWV), on their sanitary line within their home to prevent wastewater from reversing in direction and travelling back into the home.

The subsidy will pay for 50% of the costs to install a BWV on the property owner’s sanitary line. It does not cover work such as interior demolition or restoration (paint, drywall, flooring), or exterior work (landscaping for example). In order to meet program requirements, a building permit must be obtained prior to the work being done and installations must be completed by a licensed plumber. The program is only available to existing residential homes. The program is not available to any Institutional, Commercial, and Industrial (ICI) properties. Eligible properties must be within municipal boundaries and only applies to first time installations, not for replacement devices.

The application and all supporting documentation must be received within one year of the work being completed. An extension to this time allowance has been granted for any resident who installed a BWV in 2020 and meets all the requirements as set out by the program.


Applications must be mailed to:

City of Kawartha Lakes – Water/Wastewater Division

Backwater Valve Subsidy Program

322 Kent St W – PO BOX 9000

Lindsay, ON

K9V 5R8


Backwater Valve Subsidy Application Form


City staff will review your application and determine whether you are eligible for a subsidy. If your application is incomplete or you have not included the proper documentation, your application will not be processed, and all documents will be returned to you. If your application is denied you will be notified by mail.


Backwater Valve Subsidy Program Frequently Asked Questions 


Why should I install a backwater valve and what do they do?

Installing a backwater valve can help significantly decrease the potential of basement flooding by reducing the risk of wastewater (sewage) entering your home. Basement flooding can happen during a severe weather event or if the City’s wastewater system reaches its maximum capacity. A Backwater valve is typically installed within a home’s basement on the sanitary line. These devices have hinged flaps that only open in one direction, allowing wastewater to flow from your home into the City’s system, but preventing it from flowing back into your basement.


Does the City of Kawartha Lakes provide a subsidy to have one of these devices installed in my home?

Yes, the City provides a subsidy to assist homeowners with the cost of installing a backwater valve. The available subsidy is fifty percent of the invoiced cost of installing an approved backwater valve, including eligible labour, materials, permit fees and taxes. The backwater valve must be installed by a certified plumbing professional. Subsidies are subject to available funding and are provided on a first-come, first-served basis.


Does the subsidy apply to homes that are currently under construction?

No, this subsidy only applies to pre-existing homes.


Does the City recommend a contractor/plumber to install a backwater valve?

No, it is up to the homeowner to research and hire a licensed professional that meets the requirements of the building permit process. The subsidy is contingent on the BWV being installed by a certified plumbing professional. While the City does not have any affiliation with the plumbing services, a list of certified plumbers can be located under the Water System Cross Connection Control Program tab on the Utilities, Water, and Sewer heading of the City website.


How do I know if the plumber/contractor is certified?

The BWV must be installed by a certified plumbing professional. To qualify for the subsidy, your plumber must be able to provide his/her Ontario College of Trades membership number. Visit to verify trade qualification status.


Where do I obtain a building permit?

The necessary building permit can be obtained by contacting the City’s Building Division through phone 705-324-9411 ext 1288 or by visiting the Applications, Licences, and Permits section of the Living Here section of the City website.


How much does a plumbing permit cost?

Currently, the price for a permit to modify residential plumbing is $161 flat fee.

Fees are subject to change without notice.


Can I get a permit after installation?

Yes, but the cost will be $322 or double the permit flat fee.


Where can I purchase a backwater valve?

Backwater valves are typically purchased through the contractor hired to complete the installation. They can also be purchased from any hardware or plumbing supply store.


Does the backwater valve installation need to be inspected by the City?

Yes, backwater valve installations need to be inspected by a Building Inspector from the City’s Building Division. The inspection must be conducted before enclosing or covering the work. This will allow the inspector to ensure the installation meets the applicable building code requirements. Note: To receive the subsidy, an inspection must be completed.


How do I apply for the subsidy program?

Once the installation of the backwater valve is complete (and up to one year thereafter), you may apply for the subsidy program. The following documents must be provided:

  • A completed application form, which can be found below. The application must include a verifiable College of Trades membership number.
  • A copy of the invoice. The invoice must show a complete breakdown of all charges as well as the plumbing or drain license number of the contractor, the total amount paid. The invoice must also be marked as Paid in Full.
  • A copy of the building permit and final inspection.


Applications must be mailed to:


City of Kawartha Lakes – Water/Wastewater Division

Backwater Valve Subsidy Program

322 Kent St W – PO BOX 9000

Lindsay, ON

K9V 5R8


Can I include the cost of my restorations?

No, the subsidy does not cover any interior (paint, drywall, flooring, etc.), or exterior restorations required to complete the backwater valve installation.


Does a backwater valve require maintenance?

Yes, backwater valves need to be flushed regularly. Each device varies so please refer to the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance program for more information.





Contact Us