Website Feedback

Water, Wastewater and Sewer

Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF)

We would like to recognize and thank the Federal Government and the Ontario Provincial Government for their contributions through the CWWF program that has made the following projects possible:

1. Elgin Street Water & Sanitary Main Replacement – Phase 2

2. Lindsay Water Treatment Plant Filter Media Replacement

3. Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant Clearwell Modification Study

Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant Clearwell Modification Study



UPDATE: New Law will Protect Consumers at Home

As per a news release from the Ontario Government, effective March 1, 2018 "Ontario will ban unsolicited, door-to-door sales of certain household appliances to better protect consumers from aggressive and misleading contracting at home." This means that businesses will only be able to enter private residences if the consumer has contacted the company and invited them. "Contracts that are in violation of the new rules relating to door-to-door contract solicitation will be considered void, consumers will be able to keep the goods and services with no obligations."

Amongst other services (air conditioning, air cleaning, duct cleaning, furnace maintenance etc.), the new rules will apply to anyone attempting to sell water filters, heaters, purifiers, softeners, treatment devices or any combination of these products.

Businesses now must keep a record of how contact with the consumer was made and all contracts signed in the home will have a ten-day "cooling off" period, allowing the buyer to cancel the contract "for any reason without penalty."

For more information on this law, please visit the Ontario News website 


Please remember that City employees carry identification and do not approach residents to sell any type of equipment. Should you be approached by any salespeople claiming to be with the City, do not allow them access to your home. The drinking water in the City of Kawartha Lakes is safe to drink; no additional equipment is required. Should you be approached by salespeople discrediting the quality of your drinking water and attempting to sell you unnecessary equipment of any kind, please call the City and report the incident.


Wastewater Reports

2017 Annual Performance Report for the Lindsay Wastewater Treatment Plant Report

2017 Annual Performance Report for the Fenelon Falls Wastewater Treatment Plant Report

2017 Annual Performance Report for the Bobcaygeon Wastewater Treatment Plant Report

2017 Annual Performance Report for the Omemee Lagoons

2017 Annual Performance Report for the Coboconk Sewage Lagoons

2017 Annual Performance Report for the King's Bay Environmental Centre




City and resident responsibilities

You are responsible for everything inside the property line of your residence. The City is responsible for service outside the property line of your residence.

Property line diagram

Home and business owners are responsible for preventative maintenance of fire hydrants located on private property. This includes:

  • removing snow around the fire hydrant
  • flushing to remove debris
  • fire flow testing to make sure there is enough pressure
  • dip testing to make sure hydrants are not plugged

The City is responsible for preventative maintenance on fire hydrants located on City owned property.

Watermain flushing

The City flushes watermains to improve water quality. Flushing removes sediment that can build up in water distribution pipes. The City flushes municipal watermains twice per year, usually in the spring and fall. When a watermain is being flushed on your street you may notice:

  • water going into street catch basins and then being released into the storm sewer system, chlorine is removed from the water before it is released into the storm sewer system.
  • slightly lower water pressure than normal
  • discoloured water

Your water will remain safe to drink during flushing. The City recommends that you wait to use your taps, washing machine and dishwasher until flushing is finished. If you use water during flushing unwanted sediment could be drawn into your household waterlines, filters and tanks.

Sewer flushing

Sewer flushing is preventative maintenance that removes settled and accumulated material. It prevents overloading the sewer and property damage.

You may notice a bubbling or vacuum effect in your drains and toilets during sewer flushing. Keep all toilet seats closed and cover floor drains until flushing is done. After flushing is complete you should run water into your sinks and floor drains for a few minutes.

Flushing schedules are posted on the Public Notices section of our website, social media and in the local newspaper.

Bulk Water

The City has five Bulk Water Stations that are used to supply large volumes of water. Three stations are used to supply bulk haulers and two are used to supply small businesses and residents.

Before you can access a Bulk Water Station you must read, complete and sign a Bulk Water User Agreement and get a key from the Lindsay Municipal Service Centre. If you do not comply with the Bulk Water User Agreement your water station use privileges will be revoked.

You will need to bring either $1.00 coins or $0.25 coins to use the coin-operated system at most locations.

Approved water haulers may qualify to use the Smart Vend System. The Smart Vend System allows you to use a pre-loaded chip card to dispense water at the current user rate. You will find out if you qualify for the Smart-Vend System when you submit your form at the Lindsay Municipal Service Centre.

Thornhill Road at the Thornhill Reservoir

You will need to bring your own hose and a 3 inch female coupling to connect to the dispenser using the Smart Vend System.

You will need to bring your own hose to connect the dispenser to the container you are filling and a 2-inch female coupling.

Mary Street East at the Lindsay Water Treatment Plant

You will need to bring your own hose to connect the dispenser to the container you are filling and a 2-inch female coupling.

There is not a Smart Vend System at this location.

Fenelon Falls Water Treatment Plant

You will need to bring your own hose and a 2 inch female coupling to connect the dispenser using the Smart Vend System.

There is not a Coin Operated System at this location.

Fenelon Falls Fire Station

You will need $0.25 coins to use the Coin Operated System at this location. This is a public bulk water station and you do not require a key to use it. No hoses can be connected at this location.

There is no Smart Vend System at this location.

3474 Monck Road, Norland

You will need $0.25 coins to use the Coin Operated System at this location. This is a public bulk water station and you do not require a key to use it. No hoses can be connected at this location.

There is no Smart Vend System at this location.

Public notices

Check our Public Notices page for up-to-date notices about water and wastewater services.

Source Water Protection

Source water is a body of water such as a lake or river that supplies a water system. The City has a Source Water Protection Program in place to keep our water clean and safe.

The City and Source Water Protection Agencies have identified Source Protection areas that are vulnerable areas of source water in and around drinking water systems that need protection. These areas are called the Well Head Protection Areas (WHPA) and Intake Protection Zones (IPZ).

If you live within a Source Protection area there may be an impact to your property. Permits and planning help protect you and your investment from hazards like flooding, unstable soils and steep slopes while contributing to a healthy, sustainable environment in Kawartha Lakes.

If you live near a lake, watercourse or wetland you need to contact the Kawartha Conservation Planning and Regulations department to find out if you need a permit to:

  • build a structure or building
  • alter an existing structure or building
  • add any soil, sand or gravel to your property
  • excavate or grade any soil, sand or gravel on your property
  • change a watercourse
  • improve or alter your shoreline
  • work in or near a wetland

You can reach the Risk Management Official at (705) 328 -2271.

The Kawartha Conservation website also contains information such as: flood forecasting, watershed monitoring, low water response program as well as lake and environmental management plans.

You can find City Source Protection Plans on the Trent Conservation Authority website, South Georgian Bay Lake Simcoe website and the Ontario Government website. These websites also offer information on flood protection, watershed management, risk management and conservation lands as well as interactive maps and additional contact information.

New transport pathways in Intake Protection Zones or Wellhead Protection Areas are prohibited as part of By-Law 2016-237 Prohibit Establishment of Transport Pathways that Increase Vulnerability of Drinking Water.

Holding Tank Registration

You can complete the Holding Tank Registration Form online or at any Municipal Service Centre. Your form will be processed by the City and you will get confirmation and your septage generator number by mail. Your septage number is used by the City for administrative purposes and is not associated with the Health Unit. All sewage haulers that deposit waste at City facilities are registered and you will need to give the sewage hauler your septage number.

If you replace or change the size of your holding tank you must complete a Holding Tank Registration Update Form. There is no cost to update your holding tank information.

If you sell your home your septage generator number is transferable to the new home owner at no cost. The new owner will need to fill out a Holding Tank Registration Update Form, please give them your septage number.

Frozen Services

UPDATE: It's that time of year again. Temperatures are dropping and it is time to start thinking of protecting your pipes. As the weather gets colder the risk of frozen pipes increases; it is important that home owners do all they can to try and protect their pipes from freezing. On particularly cold days and nights, please consider running your tap - just the width of a pencil is enough - to keep water flowing and the risk of freezing pipes to a minimum. Please note that unless your property has a history of annual frozen services, it may not be necessary to run your water - home owner discretion is required. We invite you to see the below for more tips.

Please continue to watch the City's website for more updates regarding frozen pipes during extreme cold weather. The City wishes to remind residents that there will be no bill adjustments for any addition consumption due to running water to prevent freezing.


The City has a voluntary Freeze Prevention Program to help you keep your water lines and water meters from freezing. Frozen services can cause service interruptions and damage infrastructure. The program encourages you to:

  • Make sure that your plumbing and drains will allow water to run continuously without supervision;
  • Begin running your water when advised by the city to prevent your pipes from freezing - PLEASE NOTE: the weather is now turning colder. Please pay attention to the temperature and when it drops, consider running your water (the stream should be approximately 6 mm wide or the width of a straw, as per the information below - enough to ensure water continues flowing through your pipes) until the temperature rises. Please note that the City will not be responsible for any for any costs related to the additional water consumption.
  • Notify the city as soon as possible when you notice an interruption in water supply.

In extremely cold weather the City recommends that you:

  • Keep kitchen, laundry and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around water pipes and water meters;
  • Make sure all chemicals and cleaners are kept safely out of the reach of children and pets;
  • Keep a minimum household temperature of 13 degrees Celsius;
  • Make sure outside taps are drained and turned off;
  • Use foam pipe insulation to wrap pipes located near exterior walls, in crawl spaces or in attics;
  • Seal air leaks in your home and garage and keep your garage door closed;
  • If you are going away shut off the valve in your basement, drain all water lines by opening taps and have someone check your home regularly;
  • If you are having problems with frozen pipes you can speak with a plumber to about lowering your water service to a depth of at least 2 m and making sure waterlines on exterior walls are insulated.

If you are advised to run your taps a steady stream of water 6 mm wide or approximately the width of a straw should be run constantly until the extreme temperatures rise.

If you open the tap closest to where the waterline enters your house and you notice there is little to no water flow it is possible that your line could be frozen. Please call a licensed plumber right away. If your waterline has frozen:

  • Call a licensed plumber as soon as possible;
  • If the service is frozen outside of your property line on city property, the city will be notified and is responsible for thawing the line;
  • If the portion of the service line that is frozen is on your property (between your home and the property line) you are responsible for hiring a plumber and covering the cost;
  • If you have taken all reasonable steps and the line on your property can not be thawed the city may connect a temporary service line to supply your residence with water;
  • The city will bill the homeowner supplying the water and the owner receiving the water as part of the temporary service based on their previous year's bill for the same time period.

Private Wells

The City does not maintain private wells. You are responsible for all maintenance, repairs and water quality testing on any private well that you own.

If you would like to decommission a private well you must speak with the Building and Property division by calling 705-324-9411 extension 1288.

Ontario Water Wastewater Agency Response Network

The City is a member of the Ontario Water Wastewater Agency Response Network. The network is made up of Ontario municipalities that have agreed to voluntarily help each other respond to and recover from emergencies. This membership increases the level of safety and security for Kawartha Lakes residents.

Water System Cross Connection Control Program

Water System Cross Connection Control Program

The City of Kawartha Lakes Water System Cross-Connection Control Program, included as part of By-law 2018-039, has been developed to protect the City’s drinking water supply from sources of contamination. This program involves identifying cross-connections located on industrial, commercial and institutional properties (ICI) connected to the City of Kawartha Lakes water distribution system and ensuring that they have adequate premise isolating measures (backflow prevention devices) in place.

A cross-connection is defined as any actual or potential connection between the water distribution system and any source of pollution, contamination or other substance that could change the quality of the potable water supply.

Backflow is defined as the undesirable reversal of flow from non potable (untreated) water or other substances from any domestic or industrial unprotected piping system into the municipal water distribution system.

The easiest way to protect the water distribution system is to eliminate all potential cross-connections. Where this is not possible, a mechanical backflow prevention device must be installed to prevent backflow from occurring.

Program Requirements/Process:                                                                           

  • Identification of ICI properties with cross-connections and supplying these properties notice of the need to comply, or maintain compliance, with the Water System Cross-Connection Control Program and By-law 2018-039.

Note: Residential premises are not currently required to install BPDs, however residential premises with a) more than four units, and b) premises that are connected to an auxiliary water supply, such as an irrigation system, will require premise isolating BPD’s.

  • Once notified, affected property owners will – at their own expense - obtain a Qualified Person from the Qualified Persons Registry to conduct a cross-connection survey of the property in question. The survey report is due by the date indicated on the letter sent to the owner by the City. Please email completed surveys to

Note: Qualified Persons are individuals who meet the following requirements:

-  The person is registered with the City’s Water System Cross-Connection Control Program

-  The person holds a valid a current Certificate of Achievement in Cross Connection Control Endorsed by the Ontario Water Works Association (OWWA), or equivalent

-  The person is in possession of a current calibration certificate as required for the testing equipment to be employed

-  The person maintains commercial general liability insurance and;

-  The person is authorized to perform the specified tasks as indicated in the Authorized Functions List 

The City of Kawartha Lakes has developed a “Qualified Persons Registry List” for resident use. The City strongly recommends that property owners obtain several quotes before selecting a qualified person. The City of Kawartha Lakes does not endorse or provide warranty of services or prices; all “Qualified Persons” operate independently from the City. Please check all references, insurance, costs and please obtain a WSIB clearance certificate prior to the commencement of any work.

  • The City will reply outlining the action (if any) the property owner must take. If the property is determined to be a moderate to high risk for cross-connection (in accordance with CSA standards B64.10-07/B64/10.1-07), the property owner will be required (at their own expense) to hire a licensed plumber from the Qualified Persons Registry to have the recommended backflow device(s) installed. (Please note that a plumbing permit is required prior to the installation of new devices. Please contact the Building Division at 705 324-9411 ext. 1288)

Note: Identified properties must complete and submit to the City, a Cross Connection Survey: once every five years; when there is a change to the internal plumbing system or premise use; or as required by the City.

  • The BPDs are required to be tested upon installation and yearly thereafter by a Qualified Person. Once a test has been performed, a test tag must be affixed to each device and the report forwarded to the City. The City will maintain a listing of where BPDs have been installed, however it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure device test reports are provided to the City in a timely fashion.

It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that only Qualified Persons listed by the City of Kawartha Lakes conduct backflow prevention work on their property. The City may immediately terminate water service, require disconnection of a cross-connection and/or impose fines if the City determines that a health hazard, or potential health hazard, exists.

The owner is also responsible for ensuring that the information provided to the City remains current.

The following is a list of certified Backflow Prevention Device Testers who have registered with the City of Kawartha Lakes (CKL). Please contact these Registered Testers directly as they are not employed by the City.

Certified backflow prevention device testers

Company Name

Phone number


Approved Function(s)

Adamson and Dobbin Ltd


407 Pido Road

PO Box 352

Peterborough, ON

K9J 6Z3

All functions

Carmichael Engineering


2015 Fisher Dr

Peterborough, ON

K9J 6X6

All functions

Doyle Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling



1316 County Rd 28

Fraserville, ON

K0L 1V0

All functions

Jackson Water Conditioning Ltd


554 Woodville Rd

Woodville, ON

K0M 2T0

All functions

Liquid Logics


62 Log House Rd

Dunsford, ON

K0M 1L0

All functions

Tom Lucas Plumbing Ltd.


1150 Pigeon Lake Rd

Lindsay, ON

K9V 4R5"

All functions


Disclaimer: CKL makes no representation regarding the abilities, performance or quality of the service provided by the Registered Testers above. CKL does not accept or assume any responsibilities for the performance or actions of these Testers. These service providers are required to submit proof of their certification as a tester of backflow devices issued by the OWWA/AWWA, ASSE or approved equivalent and a valid Certificate of Calibration of their test equipment on an annual basis. Only companies listed above are permitted to carry out functions required by the Cross Connection Control Program. Please use your own judgment and discretion with respect to contracting with these Testers.

Note: Qualified Testers should contact Rob MacPherson (see below) for information on how to become registered.


Contact changes (in addition to any concerns or questions related to the Water Systems Cross Connection Control program) can be emailed to or mailed directly to:

Public Works – Water and Wastewater Division

Attn: Rob MacPherson

12 Peel St.

PO Box 9000

Lindsay, ON

K9V 5R8


Please click on the following links to print a required document.

Authorized Functions List  

Backflow Device Test Form

Cross Connection Survey Form

Qualified Persons Application Form

Alternate formats are available upon request by contacting Rob MacPherson at


Contact Us