Website Feedback

Animal Services

Animal licences and dog tags

Dogs in Kawartha Lakes must be licenced for the current calendar year (January 1 to December 31). Licences are available for purchase at any of the Municipal Service Centres or through the mail. You can purchase a dog licence online, update dog tag information, or provide proof of vaccination.


Purchase a dog licence online


Printable Dog Tag Registration Form

Purchasing a licence ensures your pet complies with the Animal By-law, which was put in place to ensure the health and safety of residents and their pets.


  • annual tag for spayed/neutered dog (with proof): $27.00
  • annual tag for unaltered dog: $32.00
  • lifetime tag for microchipped, spayed/neutered dog (with proof): $60.00
  • lifetime tag for microchipped, unaltered dog (with proof): $100.00
  • annual tag replacement: $11.00
  • lifetime tag replacement: $10.00
  • special services dog: no charge
  • livestock guardian dog: no charge

Animal bites and dangerous dogs

To report an animal bite, call the Municipal Law Enforcement Office at 705-324-9411 extension 1212 during regular business hours.

The Dog Owners Liability Act is provincial legislation pertaining to dangerous dogs. 

If you have received an Order to Restrain you have seven days to file an appeal to have your case heard by the Committee of Council.

Fishing and hunting

Visit the Kawartha Lakes Tourism website to learn about hunting and fishing in Kawartha Lakes.

The City of Kawartha Lakes does not issue hunting and fishing licences. For information about hunting and fishing licence issuers, refer to the Province of Ontario's database.

The Province also provides details about Fisheries Management Zones and Wildlife Management Units.

The Discharge of Firearms By-law regulates the use of firearms in Kawartha Lakes.

Humane Society of Kawartha Lakes

The Humane Society of Kawartha Lakes, located at 111 McLaughlin Road in Lindsay, leads the community in protection and provision of humane care and treatment of all animals, enforcement of protection laws and public education.

The Humane Society also houses stray dogs for as long as three days before the animals are made available for adoption.

Kennel licensing

The Kennel Licensing By-law regulates the licensing and governing of kennels in Kawartha Lakes. 

Lost and found pets

If you've lost your dog or found a stray dog, report it to the Municipal Law Enforcement Office right away by calling 705-324-9411 extension 1212 during regular business hours. If you need assistance outside of regular business hours, call 705-928-3054 and leave a message with your name, address and phone number as well as a brief description of the issue.

The Kawartha Lakes Humane Society houses stray dogs for as long as three days, giving time owners to come forward before the dog is adopted out to a new home.

To help reunite lost dogs with their owners, we share information about all dogs found by our By-Law division on the City of Kawartha Lakes Facebook page.

Please note, our office does not investigate anonymous complaints.

Predation of livestock and poultry

Livestock and poultry producers are entitled to make claims to their local municipality for livestock or poultry injuries and kills due to predation by coyotes, dogs, wolves and other wildlife under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.

What to do

  1. Notify a nearby Municipal Predation Investigator (Livestock Valuer) within 48 hours of discovering the injury or death of your livestock or poultry;
  2. Preserve the injury/kill site. Do not move, destroy or dispose of the carcass(es) or evidence until the investigator agrees it/they can be disposed of or destroyed. An exception may be made if this contravenes Ontario Regulation 106/09 of the Nutrient Management Act, 2002. To preserve the site, avoid walking in or around the area, place a tarp over the carcass(es), add lime around the site, and take photos of the injuries/carcass(es) and scene;
  3. If an animal sustained an injury, immediately seek veterinary care or other humane treatment options to prevent further suffering. Veterinary care costs are eligible under this program up to the Fair Market Value of the livestock. All receipts and invoices should be saved and submitted with the application.

Municipal Predation Investigator contact information

If you believe you have suffered an injury or kill of livestock or poultry due to predation, you should immediately notify a nearby Predation Investigator by calling them directly.

Downeyville (Emily, Verulam Area)

Keith Hughes, 705-799-6486

Fenelon Falls (Fenelon, Somerville, Bexley, Laxton-Digby-Longford Area)

Brian Vanderkleyn, 705-887-5388

Lindsay (Ops, Manvers Area)

Harvey Risebrough, 705-320-7763

John Hope, 705-731-7006

Wayne Daniels, 705-324-3027

Little Britain (Mariposa Area)

Barry Dart, 705-340-9061

Woodville (Eldon, Carden, Dalton Area)

Robert MacEachern, 705-439-2248

The claim process

The Predation Investigator has 72 hours from when they are contacted to attend on-site and investigate the predation claim. They will complete a written report and submit it to the City Clerk's Office within seven business days. The report will detail the type of predator, extent of damage to the livestock or poultry, at least three pictures of the site, and any other evidence to support the report and claim.

Producers are required to provide a valid Farm Business Registration Number, Premises ID Number, and Social Insurance Number to the Predation Investigator, to be included in this report. The livestock owner may also submit additional evidence to support the application such as past sales receipts, breeding records, registration documents, or other photos.

A copy of the report will be mailed to the livestock owner when they received it from the Predation Investigator in the City Clerk's Office.

The City Clerk's Office will forward the report and evidence as supplied by the Predation Investigator to OMAFRA who will review the application. If eligible, a compensation amount will be assigned and the owner will be informed directly by OMAFRA of their decision within 30 business days of submitting a complete application.

Maximum amounts of compensation have been set by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), and can be found on the OMAFRA website

The livestock owner has a right to appeal OMAFRA's decision. If no appeal is filed within 20 business days of the compensation amount being assigned, OMAFRA will notify the City to reimburse the livestock owner.


For more information please contact:

Kelly Maloney

Economic Development Officer - Agriculture

705-324-9411 extension 1208

E-Mail the Agriculture Development Officer



Office of the City Clerk

26 Francis Street, P.O. Box 9000, Lindsay, ON K9V 4R5

705-324-9411 extension 1341 or 1342

E-Mail the Office of the City Clerk

What is Municipal Livestock Predation Investigator?

The municipal livestock predation investigators are appointed by by-law in Kawartha Lakes and are responsible for:

  • Carrying out a full and impartial investigation within 72 hours of receiving the notification of the injury or death of livestock or poultry.
  • Taking three to six colour photos per eligible kill/injury incurred and collecting all necessary information to accurately complete the application.
  • Municipal investigators are responsible for providing a completed program application to the municipality within seven business days of completing an investigation.

Municipal Investigators typically have several years of experience in some of the following fields:

  • raising livestock,
  • livestock valuation,
  • veterinary care, and/or
  • wildlife tracking and identification.

Experienced Municipal Investigators will be able to provide an opinion on whether the death of livestock (eg: cattle, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.) at a farming operation occurred either by:

  • a wild animal (eg: coyote, bear, raccoon etc.),
  • a dog or other domestic animal,
  • natural causes, or
  • unknown sources due to lack of evidence and/or scavenging.

Municipal Investigators all are required to sign a Code of Conduct and Ethics establishing a foundation for acceptable behaviour, conduct and actions. 


Report a dead animal

Road kill

You can report road kill online.


The Ministry of Natural Resources is responsible for wildlife management in Ontario. Their website provides information about what to do if you:


If you have suffered an injury or kill of livestock or poultry due to predation, please see the predation of livestock and poultry section above.

Sick, hurt or injured wildlife

In regards to a sick, injured or deceased wildlife on private property, it would be the responsibility of the property owner to deal with as this is not a service provided by the City. Residents should contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) or any licensed Pest Control company for further assistance.

MNR’s website provides more detailed information and general tips to help residents deal with sick, injured, abandoned or deceased wildlife.

If a resident suspects there is a public health risk (such as rabies or West Nile virus), MNR advises to contact your regional or local health unit immediately. MNR also advises that if the animal is alive and there is a public safety issue, to contact your local police department.

Contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry for information about what to do if you encounter a sick, injured, abandoned or deceased wild animal.

Note: A property owner may bring deceased wildlife to any landfill, provided it is not in a bag and was found on private property. It is important to note that residents should not put deceased wildlife in a bag for curbside collection.

Animal abuse

To report suspected animal abuse, call the Ontario SPCA at 310-SPCA(7722), 1-888-668-7722 extension 327, or email the Ontario SPCA.

You can also call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or contact police.

Bears and wildlife

We share our community with a wide variety of wildlife. Even in urban areas, wildlife is part of a healthy natural environment. To protect your safety and the safety of animals you should never approach wildlife. Feeding wildlife is against the law as part of By-Law 2017-039.

Wildlife management is the responsibility of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Their website explains what to do if you:

If you have questions about wildlife, you should contact the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Tips for protecting wildlife:

  • Do not approach or handle wildlife
  • Rinse recycling bottles, cans, jars and containers to avoid attracting hungry animals
  • Keep cats indoors;
  • Always keep your dog on a leash when you leave your property;
  • Do not feed wildlife, feed your pet outside or leave food outside;
  • Secure waste containers and composters;
  • Clean up waste (fishing lines, broken glass, six-pack holders and roadside litter harms wildlife);
  • Avoid the use of pesticides.

Relocation and trapping

Trapping is not as humane as many people believe and trapping and relocation is often ineffective. It is best to learn to live with urban wildlife and use deterrents to prevent wildlife moving onto your property when possible.

  • Animals will often injure themselves to escape live traps;
  • Relocation is extremely stressful for animals;
  • Often parents are separated from babies during trapping which results in the death of the young;
  • Another animal will quickly move into a newly vacant den, nest or territory;
  • The risk of infectious diseases transmission increases when animals are relocated.

Contact Us