Website Feedback


Interim tax bill package

Read the 2018 Mayor's Message

Due dates and tax rates

  • 2018 interim dues dates are February 27 and April 27
  • 2018 final due dates are June 28 and September 27

There are four due dates each year. Typically due dates fall on the second last business day of February, April, June and September.

Notification options

All correspondence, including reminder notices are sent through Canada Post regular mail. It is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure we have a correct mailing address. Failure to receive the tax bill does not remove your responsibility for payment by the due date. Penalty and interest charges will be incurred for late payments.

Property Tax bills are sent using Canada Post regular mail. However, we do have an electronic method through Epost to receive your bills. Sign up for this option.

Change of mailing address or ownership

Change of mailing address

All changes must be sent in writing by the property owner. In the event, the property has become the responsibility of an executor, trustee or Power of Attorney, legal documentation must be provided to the City along with the request, identifying their authority to request the change. Please ensure your assessment roll number or property address is included in the correspondence.

Change requests are accepted by mail, e-mail, fax or in person at any Municipal Service Centre or City Hall.

Ownership change

In order to change the ownership of a property the City of Kawartha Lakes requires:

  • copy of the Transfer/ Deed showing the Address for Service as filed with the Registry or Land Titles Office
  • Information from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation with the mailing address


You can E-Mail this information to Revenue and Taxation or fax it to 705-328-2620 upon closing of the transaction.

The City does not accept letters from the lawyer acting on behalf of the purchaser as direction to change ownership or direction to use a different mailing address than what is provided on the Transfer/Deed.  It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure the documents that are registered on Title contain the correct mailing address.

Failure to receive the tax bill does not remove the property owner's responsibility for payment of property taxes on or before the due date nor will Late Payment charges be removed from the account.

Assessment information

Municipalities are not responsible for property assessment. Property assessments are the responsibility of the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) . Taxes must be paid as levied until notification is received from MPAC about a change to an assessment. Once an assessment change is received by the Municipality from Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC), an adjustment will be processed.

Request for reconsideration

You can sign up to see your assessment details and compare the value of your home to other homes in your neighborhood. Please visit the MPAC website for information about MPAC and details on how to appeal your assessment through the Request for Reconsideration process.


Payment options

All payments must be received in our office on or before the due date. Late payments will be subject to penalty and interest charges. We do not accept the postmark as proof of the date of receipt. To make paying your taxes as convenient as possible we provide a variety of payment options including:

  • pre-authorized debit
  • by mail to PO Box 696 Lindsay, ON K9V 4W9 (post-dated cheques are accepted)
  • at most financial institutions (you must pay before the due date to use this option)
  • telephone or online banking
  • in person at any Municipal Service Centre or City Hall (Please note: credit cards are not accepted)
  • drop box at any Municipal Service Centre or City Hall
  • online by credit card (there is a 2.75% charge for this service)
  • over the phone by credit card at 1-866-961-2313 (there is a 2.75% charge for this service)

Pre-authorized debit

We offer a 10-month, 12-month or instalment due date plan. You must complete a pre-authorized debit application form and ensure your taxes are paid up to date prior to the start date of the plan. The PAD plans are not transferable between houses should you sell your property and purchase another in Kawartha Lakes.

If you choose a monthly plan please be aware of the cut-off dates for submitting your application. Applications received between November 1 - April 30 will be enrolled for the next Final Tax Bill with the first withdrawal in July. Applications received between May 1 - October 31 will be enrolled for the following year's Interim Tax Bill.

This is not an equal billing plan. Amounts are calculated for the Interim Tax Bill and re-calculated for the Final Tax Bill.

12-month plans have withdrawal dates of January 15 - June 15 and again July 15 - December 15. On December 15, any residual balance owing to bring your account to zero will be withdrawn.

10-month plans have withdrawal dates of February 1 - June 1 and again July 1 - November 1. On November 1, any residual balance owing to bring your account to zero will be withdrawn.

Late payment charges

  • penalty 1.25% per month (current year arrears)
  • interest 1.25% per month (prior year arrears)
  • additions to tax roll 5% of amount being added ( $50 minimum)
To avoid penalty and interest charges, ensure payments are received on or before the due date. Penalty/interest is added the first day of each month on any outstanding tax amount. If you have made payment to a wrong account by mistake, please let us know as soon as possible to arrange a payment transfer. We will complete first time transfers at no cost, subsequent transfers will have a cost of $35.00 per transaction

Bank or mortgage company payments 

If your bank or mortgage company is responsible for paying your taxes and it is not noted on the front of your bill, please forward the bill to them immediately. Your bank or mortgage company must notify us in writing if they will be paying taxes on your behalf or if they are going to stop paying taxes on your behalf.


If you need a receipt please return your entire bill without detaching the payment stubs and include a stamped, self-addressed envelope. You can also e-mail, fax or bring your bill to our office or any Municipal Service Centre and we will stamp it for you at no cost.

If you have sold your property we are unable to provide a copy of the bill or a receipt in your name. You can find out how much you paid in taxes by reviewing the statement of adjustments prepared by your lawyer at the time of closing.

Failure to pay

If you do not pay your installments by the due date your account may be issued to the Bailiff for collection. This could result in extra fees. Once the account has been issued to the Bailiff, you will need to deal directly with them regarding payment, arrangements or balances. If a payment is made in person at our office we will notify the bailiff so they can adjust their records accordingly.


  • tax certificate: $58.00
  • copy or reprint of tax bill: $15.00
  • duplicate receipt: $15.00
  • new account fee: $37.00 (charged to the purchaser of the property)
  • returned cheque fee: $40.00
  • retrieval of post-dated cheque: $40.00
  • reminder notice: $23.00
  • registered mail: $35.00
  • tax search: $29.00
  • tax sale administration fee: $357
  • transfer of electronic payments: $35

Tax rebates

We offer tax rebates for the following criteria:

 Application for Reduction

If your house or another building on your property was demolished or damaged by fire, you may qualify for a property tax reduction by submitting a Section 357/358 application.

The deadline for applications is February 28, 2018 for the 2017 taxation year.  For further information call the Assessment Clerk at 705 324-9411 extension 1285.

Low Income Senior and Disabled Persons programs

Council grants eligible seniors and disabled property owners up to $175. The deadline to apply for this program is June 30, 2018. Successful applicants will receive a credit applied to future tax installments. The City does not issue refunds for this program.

If you are on a monthly pre-authorized payment plan the credit will be applied towards your reconciliation payment. For those on the instalment due date plan, the credit will be applied to the September instalment.

Vacancy Tax Rebate

Commercial and industrial property owners who have a vacant unit or units for at least three consecutive months can apply for the Vacancy Tax Rebate. You must apply by February 28 annually for the previous year.

Registered Charity Tax Rebate

Registered charitable organizations renting space in commercial or industrial properties can apply for the Registered Charity Tax Rebate.

Local improvements and other charges

If applicable, charges for local improvements, area rates and other charges are included on the tax bill under the heading Special Charges and Credits.

Tax sales

Please visit our Tax Sales page for more information.

Clawback rates and Municipal Levy change

Municipal Levy Change









































Property Tax Calculator

Use our Property Tax Calculator to view your property tax amount and breakdown by municipal service. 

Contact Us